Friday, June 24, 2016

It's Foodie Friday!!



It’s Foodie Friday, and I am super excited to give you my first recipe! It comes from Spoonful of Flavor and a dash of Life. I’ve made it one other time, and the family really liked it (which means something for my picky eaters). I love it because it’s a “one pot” meal. Which means less dishes, and who doesn’t love that?!?
**Disclaimer: I am not a crazy good chef (I like to keep it simple & follow recipes), and am by no means a professional photographer- so please excuse the sorry pictures!
One Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta 



First I cut up the carrots, onion and garlic. I put the carrots (about 1 C) in a boiling pot of water and the garlic (1 clove) and onions (1/2 C) in a large pot with 2 T of olive oil. In the original recipe, you sauté the carrots with the onions, but they didn’t cook well enough for my family last time, so this time I cooked them separately.



Once the onions were good to go, I added the chicken, salt and pepper, and covered the pan so the chicken would cook quicker. While you are waiting mix 3 T flour with about ½ C milk. Once the chicken is cooked, pour in 1 ½ C of chicken broth, and then the flour and milk mixture. Add another 1 C of milk and stir. Once it’s combined, add pasta (8 oz. fettucine). You may need to add more broth to cover the noodles completely, about ½ - 1 C more. I went to use my fettucine, and didn't have enough, so I subbed penne noodles. I figured 8 oz of any kind of noodles, should be the same, this turned out to be a bad idea. They must be thicker or something, because they took 3x as long to cook, and probably 3x as much broth added! No harm done, we just had to wait longer to eat. :)
Bring the mixture to a boil, turn down to low, and cover and cook for 20-25 minutes (or a lot longer if you switched noodles) or until the pasta is cooked to your liking. Make sure to stir it often as the noodles tend to stick the bottom of the pan. At this point, if you haven't already, turn the carrots off and set them aside, leaving them in the water. I added frozen peas to the water, but you don't have to. When the noodles are done, take the lid off, and let sauce thicken for about 5 minutes.  Then add 1 C of shredded cheese, mix, and enjoy!

This is a pretty quick (about an hour all said and done) and tasty dish for the week night. Go ahead and give it a try!

See you next Monday for the first installment of Guided Math! Check out my summer reading/blogging schedule below!

I hope you are having an amazing and restful break!
Kari







No comments:

Post a Comment